Packed Agenda for August 29 ANC3E Meeting
It’s an ambitious slate of issues for a single meeting. Discussion of the potential creation of a “business district improvement organization” falls at the end of the schedule. Hopefully it will not get short shrift as a result. There’s been recent traffic on the American University Park and Tenleytown listservs regarding whether such an association would be feasible or benefit the neighborhood. The Tenleytown Neighbors Association, according to one poster, met about a month ago to discuss the formation of a Business Improvement District, but few local businesses attended. Some on the listserv opined that the area is not dense enough for an official BID; however, a smaller association may have merit. Beautifying and maintaining the areas around local establishments and strengthening the business community would have immediate positive impact for residents and could attract new businesses to enliven the Tenleytown corridor.
Raising a business improvement organization for discussion at the ANC3E meeting is a good opportunity for additional public input and for the public to learn commissioners’ stances on the issue, but its position at the bottom of the agenda may mean that the late hour and meeting fatigue will stymie the conversation. Hopefully the commission will reserve time at a future meeting, inviting local businesses to share their perspectives alongside residents, so a conversation can start in earnest.
For other topics the commission will address, here’s the full draft agenda:
ADVISORY NEIGHBORHOOD COMMISSION 3E
TENLEYTOWN • AMERICAN UNIVERSITY PARK • FRIENDSHIP HEIGHTS
(subject to change)
Thursday, August 29, 2013
Tenleytown Room I
Embassy Suites, Chevy Chase Pavilion
(further information on getting to the meeting location appears at the end of the draft agenda below)
- Announcements / Open Forum– opportunity for members of the community to raise issues of concern or importance to the 3E neighborhood
- Presentation by 2nd District Police
- Discussion and possible vote on grant for the Lisner home to support Zoo Day
- Discussion with representatives from firefighters’ union and office of the Deputy Mayor for Public Safety (invited) concerning status of emergency medical services in DC, and possible vote on resolution regarding same
- Discussion of and possible vote on Public Space application from Dancing Crab
- Discussion regarding on-going noise, odor issues emanating from the Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- Discussion and vote on renewal of Civil Liquor License.
- Discussion and possible vote on DDOT proposal for Neighborhood Bike Boulevards on Jenifer and 41st Streets NW
- Discussion and possible vote on resolution requesting DDOT to improve the 4100 and 4200 Blocks of Livingston Street NW
- Discussion of and possible vote on creation of task force to explore possibilities to catalyze formation of business district improvement organization.
- Approval of July 2013 meeting minutes
- Approval of Treasurer’s Report
- Approval of expenditures
– – – –
Getting to the Meeting Location: Parking is available in the Chevy Chase Pavilion garage (not validated) or on nearby streets. The Metro stop is also located directly below the hotel. If entering the front door of the hotel, or after parking in the garage, take the elevator (or escalator) to the 2nd floor. One on the 2nd floor landing, take the elevator to the 3rd floor. Turn right after exiting the elevator, then turn left down the hall for the Tenleytown Room I, which will be on the left down a hallway. You can also ask for directions from the front desk located on the 2nd floor.