What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (10/7-10/13)
The government may still be shutdown, but life in Tenleytown is moving full steam ahead. Here’s what this week holds for neighbors and visitors:
- American University’s Center for Environmental Filmmaking will host a talk by Animal Planet producer Krishna San Nicholas on Tuesday, October 8. She will discuss how she adapts nature programs created for a European audience to an American one. The talk will take place at the Wechsler Theater in the Mary Graydon Center at 7:00 p.m.
- On Tuesday, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. come to the American University Museum at the Katzen Arts Center to enjoy an Open Mic Night featuring
musicians, poets, rappers, singers, and comedians from the community. The event is free to attend.
- Also on Tuesday, the DC Chamber of Commerce and the DC Health Benefits Exchange will host an educational forum on the Affordable Care Act to help DC residents understand new health insurance options under the law. The free forum will be held at the Tenley-Friendship Neighborhood Library from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- On Thursday, October 10, Janney Elementary School will conduct a Community Blood Drive from 2:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. in the school gymnasium. Stop by to give blood and help save a life. Appointments can be scheduled in advance by visiting www.redcrossblood.org and searching by Sponsor Code 05311835. Volunteers for the blood drive are also needed; if interested, contact Patty Furco at
- Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 3E will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, October 10 starting at 7:30 p.m. in Tenleytown Room I of the Embassy Suites. The planned mixed-use development at the Tenleytown Safeway tops the agenda. Read more about the meeting and agenda here.
- Finally, the farmer markets at the American University and Janney Elementary School continue this week. Stop by the AU campus on Wednesday, October 9 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the quad in front of the Mary Graydon Center. And then swing by Janney the following day on Thursday, October 10 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. for the School Garden Market.