What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (10/21-10/27)
Another gorgeous fall week is forecast for Tenleytown, and there’s a lot to enjoy in and around the neighborhood. Mark your calendars for these exciting events:
- In case you need a babysitter to help you enjoy local events, lil omm yoga will host an open house for UrbanSitter tonight at 5:15 p.m. at 4708 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. UrbanSitter connects parents and sitters through trusted social media networks. Learn more at www.urbansitter.com.
- Also this evening, Friendship Hospital for Animals will host the latest in its Client Education Series. The free session on Urgent Care 101: How to identify potential problems with your pet will be held at the Tenley-Friendship Library at 7:00 p.m. Come learn what symptoms in your pet can signal an immediate need for veterinary care.
- On Tuesday, October 22 the Ward 3 Democratic Committee will hold a Community Discussion with Ward 3 Councilmember Mary Cheh and Ward 5 Councilmember Kenyan McDuffie. Representatives of Virginia gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe’s campaign will also attend. The meeting will take place at 7:15 p.m. at the Methodist Home, 4901 Connecticut Avenue, NW.
- On Wednesday, the Citizens Advisory Council for the 2nd Police District (CAC 2D) will meet at 7:00 p.m. at the 2nd District Station at 3320 Idaho Avenue, NW. The 2nd District commander will meet with residents to discuss public safety issues.
- On Thursday, the Halloween Film Festival continues at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Come enjoy the always spooky Vincent Price in the 1964 film The Last Man on Earth at 7:00 p.m. For the full festival calendar, check out the special Halloween edition of What’s on Tap.
- The annual Turtle Park Halloween Parade and Party will take place October 25 at 45th and Van Ness Streets, NW. The parade of costumes steps off at 5:40 p.m. followed by free pizza and an outdoor screening of perennial favorite It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. The event is sponsored by Friends of Friendship Park.
- The American University will host a Neighborhood Fall Festival on Saturday, October 26 from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the main quad. Community members can enjoy music, food, games, a moonbounce, a petting zoo and pony rides, arboretum tours, and much more. The festival will take place rain or shine, but the weather is expected to be crisp and sunny – perfect for outdoor fun.
- On Saturday, The Rocky Horror Show, presented by the American University, ends its run with two showings at 2:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. at the Harold and Sylvia Greenberg Theatre, 4200 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. For tickets, visit http://american.tix.com or call 202-885-ARTS.
- For a few more weeks you can still get fresh produce and baked goods at two local farmers markets. Stop by the AU campus on Wednesday, October 23 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the quad in front of the Mary Graydon Center. And then swing by Janney Elementary School the following day on Thursday, October 24 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. for the School Garden Market.