What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (12/9-12/15)
Winter has come to Tenleytown as snow dusts the ground and trees are coated in ice crystals. Hopefully you and yours are staying warm. More snow may be on the horizon, but don’t let that keep you from enjoying what the neighborhood has to offer this week:
- On Wednesday, December 11, Alice Deal Middle School will host a community meeting on the status of the Reno Building renovation. The meeting begins at 7:15 p.m. immediately following the PTA general meeting.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library continues the Autumn in New York Film Series on Thursday, December 12 at 6:45 p.m. with the 1980s classic Desperately Seeking Susan, featuring Madonna and Rosanna Arquette. The series concludes next week with the holiday film Elf.
- Also on Thursday, Wilson High School presents the 2013 Winter Instrumental Music Concert, featuring the Concert Band, Jazz Ensemble, String Orchestra, and the “Green Machine” Marching Band. The concert begins at 7:00 p.m. in the auditorium, and is free and open to the public.
- On December 12, the Wilson Players begin a three-night-only run of the 1942 acclaimed classic play “The Man Who Came to Dinner.” Directed by Lynn Sharp Spears, the comedy revolves around a notorious radio talk show host who slips on the icy steps of a prominent mid-western family and insists on recuperating in their home during the Christmas holidays, turning the entire household upside down. You can take in the show on December 12, 13 or 14 at 7:30 pm in the Black Box Stage at Wilson High School, entrance on Chesapeake Street, NW. Tickets are $7 for adults, $3 for students.
- And if there weren’t enough options for Thursday, the Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 3E will meet that evening at 7:30 p.m. in the Janney Elementary School Library, 4130 Albemarle Street, NW. On the agenda are a proposed addition to Janney Elementary School, an update from the Metropolitan Police Department and a presentation on education policy by D.C. Councilmember (and potential mayoral candidate) David Catania.
- Friday, December 13 is the final day to donate new, unwrapped toys for children in need at the MPD Second District Headquarters located at 3320 Idaho Avenue, NW. Read more here.
- On Sunday, December 15, bring the kids to the Saint Ann’s Academy gymnasium, 4404 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, for breakfast with Santa Claus. Join Father Christmas for a hot breakfast buffet, arts and crafts and games from 10:00 a.m. until noon. Tickets are $10 for students (age 3 to 17) and $15 for adults (18 and older).
- Also on Sunday, the Ward 3 Democratic Committee will hold its annual holiday party from 2:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. at 5313 38th Street, NW. As part of the celebration, the Ward 3 Democratic Committee will be collecting donations of new winter hats and gloves, non-perishable foods, CVS gift cards, Smart Trip cards, household cleaning supplies and light bulbs in support of Friendship Place. Friendship Place, headquartered in Tenleytown, empowers men and women experiencing homelessness to rebuild their lives with the involvement of the community. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 10 to attend.