What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (1/6-1/12)
Happy New Year! We’re back after an extended vacation with all the happenings in the neighborhood. Hopefully you enjoyed some time off around the holidays as well and are refreshed and ready for all 2014 has to offer. While students at Janney, Deal and Wilson schools are enjoying one more day of vacation, the rest of Tenleytown is getting back into action. There’s quite a lot taking place this week, so let’s get to it:
- The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) kicks off its January lecture series this week with discussions on the founding of Hong Kong, insomnia and climate change. Each week in January, Tuesday through Thursday, OLLI will offer a thought-provoking lecture on world politics, history, arts or science, with topics ranging from dynamics in the Middle East to the fight against modern day slavery to the current state of health care reform. All events begin at 10:00 a.m. and take place at either the Temple Baptist Church or the Katzen Arts Center. This week’s schedule includes:
- Tuesday, January 7: Rita Hadden discusses Hong Kong: My Family’s Role in Its Early History based upon her family’s experiences in the late 1800s in developing the infrastructure of Hong Kong.
- Wednesday, January 8: Susan Pappas, a nurse practitioner, will discuss Insomnia and Other Common Sleep Disorders providing information on common disorders, as well as treatments.
- Thursday, January 9: Dr. Robert B. Smythe will discuss Climate Change: Science vs. Politics, addressing scientific data, political arguments, and their sources.
A full schedule for the series can be found online; each lecture is open to the public and free to attend. OLLI, a non-profit organization associated with the American University, provides continuing education for members of the community through lecture series and peer-led study groups.
- Cheer on the American University Eagles this week as the men’s basketball team takes on the Loyola University Maryland Greyhounds on Wednesday, January 8 at 7:30 p.m. at the Bender Arena. And then come out and show your support for the women’s basketball team on Saturday, January 11 as they battle the Colgate University Raiders at 2:00 p.m.
- Wilson High School will host an open house for parents of prospective students on Saturday, January 10 at 9:00 a.m. Come hear from Principal Pete Cahall, learn about academics, athletics and extracurricular activities and take a tour of one of DC’s top public high schools.
- Is shaking up your wardrobe one of your resolutions for 2014? Then join the DC Public Library and Knowledge Commons DC for Basics of Personal Style on Sunday, January 12 at 1:00 p.m. Stylist Pearlette Merriweather will discuss how to identify and develop your own personal style, as well as provide tips on finding the rights clothes for your body type and fashion sense.