What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (2/24-3/2)
Another exciting week is ahead of us in Tenleytown. Jazz, broadway theater, film, great literature – almost all the arts are available to enjoy. So what are you waiting for? Come out and have some fun!
- Come to Guapo’s tonight for an evening of live jazz presented by the American Federation of Musicians, Local 161-710. Members of the DC Federation of Musicians, including the Janelle Gill Trio, will play from 7:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. Admission is only $10.
On Wednesday, February 26, the Tenley-Friendship book group will meet at 2:00 p.m. to discuss Frederick Douglass in Washington, D.C.: The Lion of Anacostia, by John Muller.
- Looking for a sitter to help you get out and enjoy all of Tenleytown’s great events? Then join UrbanSitter for a babysitter-parent meet and greet at lil omm yoga, 4708 Wisconsin Avenue, on Wednesday, February 26th at 5:00 p.m. Register online here.
- Iona Senior Services will convene a discussion group for adult children who have parents with memory loss on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. The second in the four-part series will help participants learn ways to cope with challenging behaviors, situations, and emotions in caring for a parent with memory loss. The series is free, but space is limited. Call 202-895-9448 to register. Discussions will take place at Iona, 4125 Albemarle Street, NW. Limited free parking is available at the Iona garage on 42nd Street.
- Also on Wednesday evening, the Citizens Advisory Council for the 2nd Police District (CAC 2D) will meet at 7:00 p.m. at the 2nd District Station at 3320 Idaho Avenue, NW. The 2nd District commander will meet with residents to discuss public safety issues.
- Keep cheering for the American University Eagles this week as the women’s basketball team takes on Navy on Wednesday, February 26 at 7:00 p.m. at the Bender Arena, followed by the men’s basketball team battling Bucknell on Saturday, March 1 at 2:00 p.m.
- Susan Lowell of Tenleytown T’ai Chi will give a free, introductory T’ai Chi class at the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesday, February 26 at 7:30 p.m. All ages are welcome and should wear comfortable clothing. Participants will be required to sign a liability waiver before the class begins.
- To round out a busy Wednesday in the neighborhood, join District Trivia for Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge.
- On Thursday, the Tenley-Friendship Library continues its Northwest Side Story Film Series with a showing of But I’m a Cheerleader (1999, R) at 7:00 p.m. The film explores issues of heteronormativity, conversion therapy and sexual identity.
- Rent concludes its two-weekend run at the Katzen Studio Theater. The iconic musical is set in New York City in the midst of the AIDS epidemic and charts the emotional course of its bohemian characters. Performances will be given on February 27 and 28 and March 1 at 8:00 p.m. with a matinee showing at 2:00 p.m. on March 1. Tickets are $15 for regular admission, $10 for members of the AU community and seniors.
- Alice Deal Middle School will hold a Visiting Day on Friday, February 28 at 9:00 a.m. Prospective parents can learn about academic and extracurricular programs offered by Deal, and experience first-hand why Deal is the model for middle schools in the District.
- This weekend support two local schools by purchasing books at the Janney Elementary School book fair and the Wilson High School book fair. Janney will have used books for sale in its multipurpose room from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 1. Wilson is partnering with Politics and Prose bookstore, 5015 Connecticut Avenue, on Saturday and Sunday to raise funds for the Parent-Teacher-Student Organization. Let the cashier know you support Wilson and 20 percent of your purchase will go to the PTSO.
- Finally on Sunday, March 2, celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy readings of Dr. Seuss stories, games, crafts, and a birthday snack!
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at email@example.com.