What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (6/23-6/29)
Tenleytown has not one, but two summer film series you can enjoy this week. Plus learn from an international silk painter, get an update on the new East Campus, and stop by the local farmer’s market. There’s a lot happening around the neighborhood:
- On Monday, June 23 the History/Biography Book Club will meet at the Tenley-Friendship Library to discuss this month’s selection – A Great Improvisation: Franklin, France and the Birth of America by Stacy Schiff.
- Join The Gallery at Iona on Tuesday, June 24 for a lunch and discussion with artist in residence Diane Tuckman. Tuckman specializes in silk painting, and in addition to creating artwork, has written several books on her medium. She is also the founder of Silk Painters International. Pack a lunch and come listen to Tuckman discuss the art of silk painting at 12:30 p.m. at Iona Senior Services, 4125 Albemarle Street. Iona hosts three Artist in Residence exhibits annually, focused on exceptional artists who are 60 years of age or older. During their four-month tenure, these artists showcase their work at Iona, conduct workshops and seminars and take part in a Meet the Artist reception to engage the public around their exhibits.
- Looking for a babysitter? Join UrbanSitter for an Open House Meet and Greet on Wednesday, June 25 at 5:00 p.m. and connect with potential babysitters. UrbanSitter is a free online resource that helps parents find sitters they can trust through people they know. lil omm yoga is hosting this free event at its studio located at 4708 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Please register for the event on the lil omm website under workshops.
Also on Wednesday evening, the Citizens Advisory Council for the 2nd Police District (CAC 2D) will meet at 7:00 p.m. at the 2nd District Station at 3320 Idaho Avenue, NW. The 2nd District commander will meet with residents to discuss public safety issues.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library kicks off its Summer Movie Sing Along Series on Thursday, June 26. Each Thursday this summer, the library will host a showing of a family friendly movie musical at 6:30 p.m. This week, enjoy the new classic your kids clamor for non-stop: Frozen (PG, 2013). And don’t forget to mark your calendars for these other great films:
- American University will host a community meeting on its East Campus construction on Thursday, June 26. University representatives will provide an update on trucking, landscaping and construction management for the project. The meeting will take place at 7:00 p.m. in room 200 of the Mary Graydon Center.
- On Saturday June 28, the Tenley-Friendship Library continues its Third Annual Summer Film Series. The 2014 series features science fiction films every Saturday at 2:00 p.m. This Saturday, enjoy the futuristic crime thriller Demolition Man (R, 1993), starring Sylvester Stallone, Wesley Snipes, and Sandra Bullock. And plan to join fellow sci-fi fans for these other great films in the series:
- Drop off your kid, along with his or her favorite doll or stuffed animal, at lil omm yoga on Saturday, June 28 at 2:30 p.m. for a fun-filled, spirited yoga class followed by tea and cookies! The hour-long Downward Doll Yoga & Tea Party is perfect for kids ages 3 to 6 years. Tickets are $30 per child and $15 for each additional sibling. Sign up online.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays. New members are always welcome to join for a few rubbers from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Visit the farmers’ market at American University each Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus, Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery bring to the farmers’ market farm fresh vegetables, homemade breads and desserts.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 7:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at email@example.com.