What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (6/30-7/6)
The Lion King and a Bicentennial Man come to the neighborhood this week, along with a silver artisan. Here’s what’s happening in Tenleytown:
- Join The Gallery at Iona on Tuesday, July 1 for a lunch and discussion with special guest artist Jan Maddox. Maddox is a jeweler whose mediums are predominantly silver and stones. In addition to creating art, she has spent her career teaching design and is a Professor Emerita at Montgomery College. She is also a founding member of the Washington Guild of Goldsmiths and past president of the Maryland Crafts Council. Pack a lunch and come listen to Maddox discuss the art of jewelry making at 12:30 p.m. at Iona Senior Services, 4125 Albemarle Street. Iona hosts three Artist in Residence exhibits annually, focused on exceptional artists who are 60 years of age or older. During their four-month tenure, these artists showcase their work at Iona, conduct workshops and seminars and take part in a Meet the Artist reception to engage the public around their exhibits.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library continues the Summer Movie Sing Along Series on Thursday, July 3. Each Thursday this summer, the library will host a showing of a family friendly movie musical at 6:30 p.m. This week, travel to the Pride Lands of Africa and join Simba as he journeys along the circle of life growing from cub to king in The Lion King (G, 1994). And don’t forget to mark your calendars for these other great films:
- If your movie tastes run more toward sci-fi rather than musical, then the Tenley-Friendship Library’s Third Annual Summer Film Series is for you. The 2014 series features science fiction films every Saturday at 2:00 p.m. This Saturday, July 3, enjoy Bicentennial Man (PG, 1999), a drama based on a novel by Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg that explores humanity, mortality, and prejudice and stars Robin Williams. And plan to join fellow sci-fi fans for the other films in the series:
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays. New members are always welcome to join for a few rubbers from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email [email protected] to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Visit the farmers’ market at American University each Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus, Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery bring to the farmers’ market farm fresh vegetables, homemade breads and desserts.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 7:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at [email protected]