What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (7/7-7/13)
The Fort Reno Concert Series returns to Tenleytown this week! Plus two film series continue and community meetings address education, homelessness, and aging well. Here’s what’s happening in the neighborhood:
- The concert series that almost wasn’t is officially back! The Fort Reno Concert Series kicks off tonight at 7:00 p.m. with performances by Captivators, a DC ska band, and Malatese, which is a self-described trance punk band. Come out for the first concert of 2014 and show your support for the annual event. And then come back again on Thursday, when Peanut Butter & Dave, Golden Looks, and Calavera Skull perform. All shows begin at 7:00 p.m. and end at 9:30 p.m. The concerts are free, so bring your blanket and some picnic fare and enjoy good music with your neighbors – just leave the alcohol at home.
- On Wednesday, July 9 the Department of General Services and DC Public Schools will hold a community meeting on the Reno School project. The meeting will take place at 7:00 p.m. at Alice Deal Middle School, 3815 Fort Drive.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library continues the Summer Movie Sing Along Series on Thursday, July 10. Each Thursday this summer, the library will host a showing of a family friendly movie musical at 6:30 p.m. This week, watch Christian Bale and other newsboys dance and sing as they take on Robert Duvall as Joseph Pulitzer in Newsies (PG, 1992), the Disney depiction of the 1890s newsboys strike. And don’t forget to mark your calendars for these other great films:
- Friendship Place, which empowers men and women experiencing homelessness to rebuild their lives with the involvement of the community, will host a community discussion on homelessness on Thursday at 7:00 p.m. Open Doors at Friendship Place is an informal, free, 45 minute gathering for individuals and groups who want to learn how the community is creating lasting and permanent solutions to homelessness in innovative ways. The discussion will take place at 4652 Wisconsin Avenue (above the Satay Club). If you plan to attend, please contact Benjamin Bradburn at (202) 503-2963 or firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your seat.
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Thursday evening for a complementary tasting of Angel’s Envy bourbon from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. Wine Enthusiast rated Angel’s Envy 98 points – the highest score ever recorded for a bourbon. Paul’s complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational & tasty experience! Register to attend the tasting online to receive a special discount code.
- On Friday, July 11 Friendship Terrace will host a Wellness Symposium from 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. The free symposium will include discussions on topics relating to living and aging well; lunch is also available for $5.00. For more information call 202-244-7400. Seabury at Friendship Terrace Retirement Community is located at 4201 Butterworth Place, NW.
- If you’re a sci-fi movie fan, then the Tenley-Friendship Library’s Third Annual Summer Film Series is for you. The 2014 series features science fiction films every Saturday at 2:00 p.m. This Saturday, July 12, enjoy Gattaca (PG-13, 1997), starring Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman. And plan to come out for the other films in the series:
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays. New members are always welcome to join for a few rubbers from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email email@example.com to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
Visit the farmers’ market at American University each Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus, Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery bring to the farmers’ market farm fresh vegetables, homemade breads and desserts.UPDATE: The farmer’s market is on hiatus until September.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 7:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.