What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (7/22-7/27)
After a bit of a vacation, we’re back with the weekly run down of events around Tenleytown. This week learn more about Georgetown Day School’s plans for its upper school campus, travel back in time to the 1950s, take in a show at a couple film series, or head to Fort Reno for some summertime music. Here’s what’s happening in the neighborhood:
- On Tuesday, July 22 Georgetown Day School will host a community information session on its recent purchases of the Safeway and Euro Motorcars Volvo (formerly Marten’s Volvo) properties. Head of School Russell Shaw and members of the GDS board will discuss the purchases and vision for the future development of the school campus. The session will begin at 7:00 p.m. at the GDS high school at 4200 Davenport Street. There is still time to sign up to attend; reserve your seat online.
- Friendship Place, which empowers men and women experiencing homelessness to rebuild their lives with the involvement of the community, will host a community discussion on homelessness on Wednesday, July 23 at 11:00 a.m. Open Doors at Friendship Place is an informal, free, 45 minute gathering for individuals and groups who want to learn how the community is creating lasting and permanent solutions to homelessness in innovative ways. The discussion will take place at 4652 Wisconsin Avenue (above the Satay Club). If you plan to attend, please contact Benjamin Bradburn at (202) 503-2963 or firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your seat.
- Join Seabury at Friendship Terrace on Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. for Nifty Fifties. Travel back in time and revisit the history, lifestyle, fashion, sports, automobiles, music, movie stars and food of the 1950s, presented in the format of a TV Game Show. The free event will take place at 4201 Butterworth Place, NW; lunch is also available for $5.00. For more information call 202-244-7400.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library continues the Summer Movie Sing Along Series on Thursday, July 24. Each Thursday this summer, the library will host a showing of a family friendly movie musical at 6:30 p.m. This week, be our guest for a tale as old as time and enjoy the Disney classic Beauty and the Beast (G, 1991). And don’t forget to mark your calendars for these other great films:
- The Fort Reno Concert Series continues on Thursday, July 24 at 7:00 p.m. with performances by Title Tracks, The Effects, and Myrrh Myrrh. The show begins at 7:00 p.m. and ends at 9:30 p.m. The concerts are free, so bring your blanket and some picnic fare and enjoy good music with your neighbors – just leave the alcohol at home.
- On Friday, July 25 Friendship Terrace will host a free discussion on Thriving with Vision Loss with Jocelyn Hunter of the Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind. Loss of vision can occur suddenly or develop gradually over time. Attend this valuable workshop to learn techniques and strategies to help you cope with vision loss and keep it from getting in the way of the things you want to do. The workshop will begin at 10:30 a.m. at 4201 Butterworth Place, NW.
- Friday afternoon at 2:00 p.m., Friendship Terrace will host its July Lecture: A World of Hurt: What Makes People Around the World Support Torture? George Mason University Professor Jeremy Meyer will explore attitudes toward torture and the social, religious, and cultural influences that may shape those attitudes. Admission is free.
- On Saturday, July 26 residents of Police Service Area 202 (Tenleytown, Friendship Heights, AU Park) can safely dispose of unwanted, unused, or expired prescription drugs. MPD Lieutenant Alan Hill will collect prescription drugs from 10:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. at the corner of 45th and Van Ness streets.
- If you’re a sci-fi movie fan, then the Tenley-Friendship Library’s Third Annual Summer Film Series is for you. The 2014 series features science fiction films every Saturday at 2:00 p.m. This Saturday, July 26, enjoy Forbidden Planet (G, 1956), the classic film that gives a science fiction twist to William Shakespeare’s The Tempest. And plan to come out for the other films in the series:
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 7:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at email@example.com.