What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (7/28-8/3)
Take in a concert at Fort Reno during the series’ final week, join Paul to sip some wine, introduce yourself to a lizard, and sing with a genie. Here’s your weekly list of must-dos around Tenleytown:
- The Fort Reno Concert Series concludes this week with two shows. Monday, July 28 features Black Sparks, Stereosleep, and The Raised by Wolves. As a bonus, it’s also the annual Night of 1,000 Cakes, so bring a cake or cupcakes to share with fellow concert goers. Thursday, July 31 caps off the concert season with performances by Give and Protect-U. Shows begin at 7:00 p.m. and end at 9:30 p.m. The concerts are free, so bring your blanket and some picnic fare and enjoy good music with your neighbors – just leave the alcohol at home.
- On Tuesday, July 29 T’ai Chi instructor Susan Lowell will lead a workshop based on Suzette Haden Elgin’s books on The Gentle Art of Verbal Self-Defense. Participants will come away from this event with a “cheat sheet” of techniques for managing verbal aggression and a handy set of pocket cards that will serve as a reminder of the techniques learned. The free workshop will take place at the Tenley-Friendship Library at 7:00 p.m.
- Join Steel Drummer Ron Emrit on Wednesday, July 30 for a Caribbean Festival at the Friendship Terrace Retirement Community. Enjoy free music, fun, games, and prizes starting at 11:00 a.m. A special Caribbean lunch is available for just $5.00. Friendship Terrace is located at 4201 Butterworth Place, NW.
- On Wednesday, July 30 join the Tenley-Friendship Book Discussion Group at 2:00 p.m. as they discuss The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark. The group meets on the last Wednesday of the month at the Tenley-Friendship Library, and welcomes new members to join the conversation.
- Bring your kids to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesday, July 30 at 2:00 p.m. for an exciting, up close introduction to some amazing reptiles. Reptiles Alive will share secrets of snakes and tales of lizards and turtles. And children might just get to meet a boa constrictor, tortoise, exotic lizards and other amazing animals.
- On Saturday, August 2 learn practical problem solving strategies and stress management techniques to help deal with caregiving challenges during the Caring for You, Caring for Me: Preventing and Solving Problems workshop. This workshop is part of a five class series based on the Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregiving’s education and support program. The Kadamba Tree Foundation presents this program along with instruction on practical stress management techniques and other tools for family caregivers. Each workshop features a hands-on tutorial on quality health information for family caregivers from the National Library of Medicine. The workshop will begin at 10:00 a.m. at the Tenley-Friendship Library.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library continues the Summer Movie Sing Along Series on Thursday, July 31. Each Thursday this summer, the library will host a showing of a family friendly movie musical at 6:30 p.m. This week, take in a whole new world as you enjoy Aladdin (G, 1992). And don’t forget to mark your calendars for these other great films:
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for the weekly complementary Friday Night Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational, and tasty experience. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- If you’re a sci-fi movie fan, then the Tenley-Friendship Library’s Third Annual Summer Film Series is for you. The 2014 series features science fiction films every Saturday at 2:00 p.m. This Saturday, August 2, enjoy The Matrix (R, 1999), the first film in The Matrix trilogy. And plan to come out for the remainder of the Wachowski brothers series:
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays. New members are always welcome to join for a few rubbers from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at email@example.com.