What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (8/4-8/10)
August usually signals a slowdown in the nation’s capital, but don’t worry – there’s still plenty to do around Tenleytown. Here’s what’s happening in the neighborhood this week:
- Join the Metropolitan Police Department’s Second District for National Night Out on Tuesday, August 5. Stop by the Second District station to meet Commander Michael Reese, learn more about crime prevention, and enjoy some family fun with a moon bounce and game truck. You can also drop off your unused, unwanted or expired prescription drugs for safe disposal. National Night Out will take place from 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. at 3320 Idaho Avenue.
- On Thursday, August 7 Dr. Neal Barnard will give a free lecture on Healthy Approaches to Weight Control, Reversing Diabetes, and the Best of Health. A renowned nutrition researcher and New York Times bestselling author, Dr. Barnard will discuss the connection between nutrition and health, and reveal how the same simple diet changes that benefit diabetes patients also bring a wide range of health benefits including weight control, lower cholesterol levels, protection from memory loss, and greater vitality to last a lifetime. The lecture begins at 7:00 p.m. at the Tenley-Friendship Library.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library continues the Summer Movie Sing Along Series on Thursday, August 7. Each Thursday this summer, the library will host a showing of a family friendly movie musical at 6:30 p.m. This week, enjoy Disney’s adaptation of the Chinese legend of Mulan (G, 1998). And don’t forget to mark your calendars for these other great films:
- Enjoy a complementary wine tasting in Le Chat Noir’s upstairs wine lounge on Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Located at 4907 Wisconsin Avenue, the French restaurant hosts a wine tasting on the first Thursday of every month.
- If you’re a sci-fi movie fan, then the Tenley-Friendship Library’s Third Annual Summer Film Series is for you. The 2014 series features science fiction films every Saturday at 2:00 p.m. This Saturday, August 9, enjoy The Matrix Reloaded (R, 2003), as the library continues the Matrix trilogy. And plan to come out for the final chapter of the Wachowski brothers’ series on August 16.
- Calling all Frozen fans! Join lil omm yoga for a night of Frozen-inspired yoga on Saturday, August 9 at 5:30 p.m. Children ages 3 to 8 years, with a parent or caregiver, can enjoy yoga, dance, and crafts – and a little glitter. Dress in anything that makes you feel alive – costumes are welcome! Sign up online on the lil omm website.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays. New members are always welcome to join for a few rubbers from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email email@example.com to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat.
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for the weekly complementary Friday Night Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational, and tasty experience. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.