What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (8/11-8/17)
The rest of Washington, DC may be on vacation, but Tenleytowners know the real fun is right here in the neighborhood. From circus yoga to craft cocktails, film to fine art, and even a fashion show – it’s all happening this week:
- On Tuesday, August 12 Iona Senior Services will host Dr. E. Gordon Margolin for a talk on Health and Wellness for seniors, focused on how diet, exercise, and medical and mental care can improve well-being and sustain a high-quality, active lifestyle. Dr. Margolin has spent more than two decades working in the field of geriatrics. The talk is free and open to the public, and will begin at 2:00 p.m. at 4125 Albemarle Street, NW.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library welcomes the Blue Sky Puppet Theatre on Tuesday for an interactive puppet show incorporating science, technology, engineering and math (STEM). Children ages 5 to 12 years can follow Rufus through his adventures in science class with Dr. Science. The show begins at 2:00 p.m.
- Friendship Terrace invites you to attend the Taylor Marie Fall Fashion Show on Wednesday, August 13 at 11:00 a.m. Enjoy complimentary coffee and refreshments as you watch the gala runway show hosted by Maryann Priddy of Taylor Marie Fashions. If you like what you see, take the opportunity to purchase some of the fashionable women’s clothing and accessories on display at a 50 percent discount. The event is free and open to the public. Friendship Terrace is located at 4201 Butterworth Place, NW.
- On Thursday, August 14 the Tenley-Friendship Library will host a screening of The Tailor of Panama (R, 2001) at 3:00 p.m. in commemoration of the 100th anniversary of the Panama Canal. This spy thriller based on the novel by John le Carre stars Pierce Brosnan and Geoffrey Rush.
- Sample craft spirits and cocktails on Thursday evening at Paul’s Wine and Spirits from 5:30 until 8:00 p.m. Breckenridge Vodka, Cody’s Road Bourbon, and Tromba Tequila will be available for tasting. Learn more about these spirits and register for the event online. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library continues the Summer Movie Sing Along Series on Thursday, August 14. Each Thursday this summer, the library will host a showing of a family friendly movie musical at 6:30 p.m. This week, enjoy the delightful classic Mary Poppins (G, 1964). And don’t forget to mark your calendars for the final film of the series next week, as the library brings back Frozen (PG, 2013) for an encore screening.
- Protect your privacy – bring personal papers, financial documents, and other items to Friendship Terrace to be shredded on Friday, August 15. From 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. a truck from Shred-It will be available free of charge to shred personal papers for members of the greater Tenleytown community. Friendship Terrace is located at 4201 Butterworth Place, NW.
- On Friday evening, The Gallery at Iona invites you to meet and celebrate its current featured artists . Enjoy wine, food, music by The Cantanti Singers and – most importantly – the work of Artist in Residence Diane Tuckman and Special Guest Artist Jan Maddox. Tuckman specializes in silk painting, while Maddox is a jeweler whose mediums are predominantly silver and stones. The reception is free and open to the public, and will take place from 5:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. at 4125 Albemarle Street, NW. Iona hosts three Artist in Residence exhibits annually, focused on exceptional artists who are 60 years of age or older.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library’s Third Annual Summer Film Series comes to a close this Saturday, August 16 at 2:00 p.m. Enjoy the final chapter in the Matrix trilogy with The Matrix Revolutions (R, 2003).
- On Sunday, August 17 join lil omm yoga for Circus-Inspired Family Yoga at 2:30 p.m. Spice up your family yoga practice with Circus and Acro-inspired partner poses. Explore playful movement and mindfulness in this fun class suitable for children 5 years and older. Learn more and register online.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays. New members are always welcome to join for a few rubbers from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.‘s experience with Trivia Wednesday here.)
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for the weekly complementary Friday Night Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational, and tasty experience. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at email@example.com.