What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (8/18-8/24)
Traditional August weather may have returned to the District, but Tenleytown has plenty to keep you cool this week from free T’ai Chi and yoga classes to craft cocktails, from a chance to sing with a snowman to an evening movie under the stars. But it’s not all fun and games – friends and neighbors will also have a unique opportunity to weigh in on policy priorities for the District government. Here’s what’s happening around town:
- On Monday, August 18 Friendship Hospital for Animals will host the latest in its Client Education Series. The free session on Veterinary Oncology will be held at the Tenley-Friendship Library at 7:00 p.m. Dr. Courtney Mallett will discuss signs of cancer in pets as well as options to preserve, lengthen and improve the quality of life for dogs and cats that are afflicted with cancer.
- DC Water invites District residents to put their tap water to the test on Wednesday, August 20 and participate in the 4th Annual Taste Test Challenge. Participants will compare tap and bottled water to see if they can taste the difference. Stop by the Tenleytown-AU Metro Station between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to join the challenge.
- The District of Columbia Commission for Women will hold a “listening session” at Iona on Thursday, August 21 at 1:00 p.m. Women of all ages are invited to share their priorities, needs, and expectations for District government agencies and departments in advance of the commission’s fall policy conference. The D.C. Commission for Women works with the Mayor’s Office on Women’s Policy, and serves as an advocacy organization working for individual empowerment, economic and social equity, and an improved quality of life for women and their families in the District of Columbia. To register for the session contact Iona by phone at 202-895-9448 or email at email@example.com.
- Wednesday evening, come to the Tenley-Friendship Library at 7:30 p.m. for a free, introductory T’ai Chi class given by Susan Lowell of Tenleytown T’ai Chi. All ages are welcome and should wear comfortable clothing. Participants will be required to sign a liability waiver before the class begins.
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Thursday evening for a complementary cocktail tasting featuring FOU-DRÈ Vodka from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. This premium vodka features pomegranate and ginger notes. Paul’s complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event. Register to attend the tasting online.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library concludes the Summer Movie Sing Along Series on Thursday, August 21. Cap off your summer with an encore showing of Frozen (PG, 2013) at 6:30 p.m.
- American University invites friends and neighbors to the annual Neighborhood Movie Night on Friday, August 22. AU will host an outdoor screening of Babe (1995, G), the tale of a pig who wants to be a sheepdog. The movie begins at 8:00 p.m., but the Woods-Brown Amphitheater is a wonderful spot for a pre-film picnic, so bring a basket and a blanket and come early – just save room for the free popcorn provided by American University.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays. New members are always welcome to join for a few rubbers from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.‘s experience with Trivia Wednesday here.)
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for the weekly complementary Friday Night Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational, and tasty experience. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at email@example.com.