What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (8/25-8/31)
Happy first day of school! The kids may be back in class and filling their days (and heads) with knowledge, but that doesn’t mean the summer fun is over for the rest of us just yet. Tenleytown has a luau and a special Bourbon Beer-B-Q to send off the season, as well as other great events this week:
- The History/Biography Book Club will meet this evening at 7:00 p.m. at the Tenley-Friendship Library. This month’s selection is The Violinist’s Thumb: and Other Lost Tales of Love, War, and Genius, as Written by our Genetic Code by Sam Kean. For more information on this and other book clubs, contact the library at 202-727-1488.
- Send the summer off in style with a Hawaiian Luau at Friendship Terrace on Wednesday, August 27. Starting at 11:00 a.m. residents, staff, and guests will blend together Hawaiian music, foods, and costumes for a delightful celebration led by Washington entertainer Brian Rudolph. The luau is free and open to the public. Friendship Terrace Retirement Community is located at 4201 Butterworth Place, NW.
- On Wednesday afternoon, young adult author Claire Griffin will discuss her novel Nowhere to Run from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Everything in Washington, DC track star Calvin Williams’ life is suddenly in jeopardy when his best friend becomes involved with a group of local thugs. Griffin’s debut packs a serious punch and will leave readers stunned with Calvin’s grim options. Copies of the book are available for checkout at the DC public libraries.
- THIS EVENT HAS BEEN CANCELED
Looking for a babysitter? Join UrbanSitter for an Open House Meet and Greet on Wednesday, August 27 at 5:00 p.m. and connect with potential babysitters. UrbanSitter is a free online resource that helps parents find sitters they can trust through people they know. lil omm yoga is hosting this free event at its studio located at 4708 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Please register for the event on the lil omm website under workshops.
- Also on Wednesday evening, the Citizens Advisory Council for the 2nd Police District (CAC 2D) will meet at 7:00 p.m. at the 2nd District Station at 3320 Idaho Avenue, NW. The 2nd District commander will meet with residents to discuss public safety issues.
- Join the Tenley-Friendship Library on Friday, August 29 for a discussion with authors Emmi Itaranta, Memory of Water, and Salla Simukka, As Red as Blood. The discussion will begin at 12:30 p.m.
- Paul’s Wine and Spirits is hosting a Labor Day Weekend Bourbon Beer-B-Q on Saturday, August 30 from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. Rockland’s BBQ will be on hand with a food truck right outside Paul’s. Once you’ve purchased some tasty food, head on inside for a complementary beer tasting sponsored by Starr Hill Brewery, New Belgium Brewing Company, and Kona Brewing. Bourbon from Rebellion Bourbon and Bulleit Bourbon will also be available. Register online for the free event, or just stop by on Saturday. Paul’s Wine and Spirits is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays. New members are always welcome to join for a few rubbers from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email email@example.com to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.‘s experience with Trivia Wednesday here.)
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for the weekly complementary Friday Night Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational, and tasty experience. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.