What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (9/8-9/14)
Life is hopping in Tenleytown this week, with a little something for everyone. From walking tours to movies, concerts to yoga, book sales to book discussions, and farmers markets to art classes, we’re sure you’ll find an event for every member of your family to enjoy. And don’t forget to take part in a local government meeting or two. Here’s what’s happening in the neighborhood:
- The DC Public Service Commission will convene a public meeting on PEPCO’s Undergrounding Project on Tuesday, September 9 at 6:00 p.m. Within Ward 3, AU Park and Friendship Heights are the two neighborhoods that will be targeted as part of the first year construction plan. The meeting will be held at 1333 H Street, NW on the 7th Contact Herbert Jones at (202) 727-3071 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- The Books That Shaped America series returns to American University on Tuesday, September 9 at 7:00 p.m. Michael Manson, Director of the University Honors Program will lead a discussion of Robert Frost’s collection of poems New Hampshire in room 115 of the Bender Library. Attendees are encouraged, but not required, to have read the book.
- Also on Tuesday evening, the Friends of the Tenley-Friendship Library board meeting will be held at 7:00 p.m. at the library.
- On Wednesday, September 10 enjoy yoga in the galleries at the Katzen Arts Center at 10:00 a.m. The session will be led by a certified Kripalu Yoga teacher. Participants are asked to bring a mat. Free for museum members; $5 for non-members.
- The AU Farmers Market has returned! Each Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery bring to the farmers market fresh vegetables, homemade breads, and desserts. The market is located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus and runs through November 19.
- In honor of Patriot’s Day, Seabury at Friendship Terrace will host a concert in remembrance of 9/11 led by entertainer Jerry Roman, “The Piano Man.” This very special free concert will be held on Thursday, September 11th from 1:15 p.m. until 2:15 p.m. at 4201 Butterworth Place, NW.
- The annual Green Living Expo will take place on Thursday, September 11 at the University of the District of Columbia. As part of the program, Wholeness for Humanity (WFH) will host a Green Homes EcoTour, featuring a combination of biking and walking tours. The five-mile bike tour kicks off at 1:30 p.m. at the WFH booth at UDC, and will feature stops at homes and organizations that exemplify conservation practices. Sign up for the free event online.
- As part of the Green Homes EcoTour, St. Columba’s Episcopal Church will offer a walking tour of the church’s green initiatives at 3:00 p.m. on Thursday. Those interested can either sign up for the EcoTour as a whole or just for the walking tour of the church. Read about last year’s tour here, and sign up online.
- Put on your most comfortable P.J.s and bring the whole family to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Thursday for a special Pajama Movie Night. Find out just why everything is awesome as Emmett and his motley crew of friends take on Lord Business to save the world of LEGOs from the Kragle. The LEGO Movie (PG, 2014) begins at 6:00 p.m.
- Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 3E will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, September 11 starting at 7:30 p.m. On the agenda are consideration of revisions to the liquor license for the Dancing Crab, a special exception for a rear addition to a home on Faraday Street, and grant requests from the Lisner Home and the Children’s Art Studio. The Second District police will also provide an update on public safety issues in the Tenleytown area. The meeting will take place at Woodrow Wilson High School in the black box theater.
- Join Girl Power Fitness on Saturday, September 13 for a fitness open house. From 9:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. check out the local fitness studio geared toward women, and take part in Zumba, Pilates and Cardio Camp demonstrations. Girl Power Fitness is located at 5028 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
- The Tenley-Friendship Library will have a major book sale on Saturday, September 13 from 11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. Sponsored by the Friends of the Tenley-Friendship Library, the sale will feature hundreds of books, including popular fiction and non-fiction titles, art books, cookbooks, gardening, how-to guides, children’s books, and more. Members of the Friends of the Tenley-Friendship Library are invited to a Member-Only Preview from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Not a member, but want to get in on the action early? You can join at the door.
- Join the AU Museum on Sunday, September 14 from 1:00 p.m. until 3:00 p.m. for the ever popular Kids@Katzen. Expand your children’s imagination be engaging them in a fun, creative art class inspired by the current Readymade@100 exhibit. Tickets are $10 per child, and advanced registration is suggested. Contact Lucy Crowley at 202-885-3617 for more information.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. New members are welcome, but as many of the foursomes have been playing together for years, you may want to recruit your own foursome to play a few rubbers. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email email@example.com to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m.
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Wednesday here.)
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for the weekly Friday Night Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational, and tasty experience. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.