What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (11/24-11/30)
Happy Thanksgiving Tenleytown! We hope you have a wonderful holiday with friends and family. The neighborhood has some fun events for you and yours to enjoy this week, including special yoga classes focused on gratitude and the return of Tenley WinterFest – our annual celebration of the neighborhood and the season:
- EVENT CANCELED
American University will host Metropolitan Police Chief Cathy Lanier on Monday, November 24 at 6:00 p.m. in the McKinley theater. Chief Lanier will discuss her experiences policing the nation’s capital and will take questions from the audience. The event is free and open to the public. Those interested in attending are asked to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve their seat.
- On Thanksgiving, lil omm yoga will host two yoga classes. At 9:00 a.m., adults at all levels can participate in the Thanksgiving Attitude of Gratitude yoga flow class. The hour-long class will help you relax and focus on thankfulness in advance of your Thanksgiving feast. The class is $20 per person and you can register online. Then at 10:30 a.m., families with children of all ages are welcome to join the Thanksgiving Family class. All proceeds from the class will benefit lil omm’s new student scholarship fund. The class is $25 and you can register online.
- The annual neighborhood-wide Tenley WinterFest kicks off on Friday, November 28 with a host of fun events for all ages. The ever-popular Yeti scavenger hunt is back with the WinterFest mascot hiding out at local businesses. Download a map of where you can find the Tenley Yeti, collect Yeti stamps in your tracker, and win fun prizes. And if scouting for the Yeti works up an appetite – or you are just cooked out from Thanksgiving – enjoy dining specials and discounts at 15 area restaurants as part of the first annual WinterFest Winter Feast. A list of all the participating restaurants and specials is available online. Both the Yeti hunt and Winter Feast run from November 28 through December 6; for a full listing of WinterFest events, visit the festival’s events page online.
- Tenley WinterFest, in partnership with the Tenleytown Historical Society, will also host a walking tour of historic Tenleytown on Sunday, November 30 at 2:00 p.m. Want to know where the bodies are buried, if George Washington really slept here, or what the connection between Tenleytown and Washington’s beer baron is? All will be answered during this fun walking tour given by THS member and Janney parent Farleigh Earhart. For more information and to sign up for the free one-hour tour, visit the tour’s Eventbrite page.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. New members are welcome, but as many of the foursomes have been playing together for years, you may want to recruit your own foursome to play a few rubbers. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email email@example.com to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Wednesday here.)
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for the weekly Friday Night Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational, and tasty experience. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.