What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (12/1-12/7)
Our fair community is brimming with the spirit of the season as Tenley WinterFest is underway with neighborhood-wide dining specials, free movie screenings, concerts, and a holiday market, just to name some of the great events on offer. In addition, Tenleytown has special yoga classes, an international film series, wine tastings, and a holiday reception at American University. December is off to a fantastic start – don’t miss out on the fun!:
- The Tenley WinterFest Yeti scavenger hunt continues at local businesses this week. Download a map of where you can find the Tenley Yeti, collect Yeti stamps in your tracker, and win fun prizes. And if scouting for the Yeti works up an appetite – or you are just cooked out from last week’s holiday – enjoy dining specials and discounts at 15 area restaurants. Both the Yeti hunt and restaurant specials run through December 6.
- Georgetown Day School invites members of the community to participate in a conversation about the GDS school planning process on Monday, December 1 at 7:00 p.m. Head of School Russell Shaw will provide an update on the school’s plans for the Safeway and Martens Volvo dealership that GDS purchased this summer, and answer questions from community members. The meeting will take place at the GDS High School at 4200 Davenport Street, NW.
- The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) concludes its fall lecture series on Tuesday, December 2 with an Update on Health Care Reform. Linda Miller, a health policy advocate, and Bruce Wolf, a lawyer representing national managed-care companies, will discuss the implementation challenges of the Affordable Care Act, the current state of health care reform, and the likely future of reform efforts. The discussion will take place at the Temple Baptist Church, 3850 Nebraska Avenue, NW and is free and open to the public. OLLI, a non-profit organization associated with the American University, provides continuing education for members of the community through lecture series and peer-led study groups.
- The quarterly meeting of the American University’s Community Liaison Committee (CLC) will take place on Tuesday, December 2 at 6:00 p.m. in the Black Box Theater on the first floor of the Katzen Arts Center. The CLC, which is comprised of university and community representatives, seeks to foster positive relations and to maintain regular communication between the university and its neighbors. The meeting is open to the public and will be followed by a Town Hall meeting with American University President Neil Kerwin and a community holiday reception.
- On Wednesday, December 3 enjoy yoga in the galleries at the Katzen Arts Center at 10:00 a.m. The session will be led by a certified Kripalu Yoga teacher. Participants are asked to bring a mat. Free for museum members; $5 for non-members.
- As part of Tenley WinterFest, the Tenley-Friendship Library will host a free screening of Elf (2003, PG) on Thursday, December 4 at 4:00 p.m. Get in the holiday spirit and share some laughs as Buddy, the not quite elf, departs the North Pole for the big city in search of his father, bringing all the wonder and innocence of the season with him.
- Enjoy a complementary wine tasting in Le Chat Noir’s upstairs wine lounge on Thursday, December 4 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Located at 4907 Wisconsin Avenue, the French restaurant hosts a wine tasting on the first Thursday of every month. And don’t forget to sample Le Chat Noir’s menu while you are there. As part of Tenley WinterFest, Tenleytown’s local bistro is offering 10% off food and beverages – just mention WinterFest to your server to take advantage of the special.
- Paul’s Wine and Spirits is offering a special Scotch and Burgundy Seminar and Sampling on Thursday, December 4 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. You are invited to join Aberlour® Masters of Scotch on an enlightening journey into the world of single-malt scotch. Included is an opportunity to enjoy an aromatic and flavorful range of samples from Aberlour. In addition to the Scotch presentation and tasting, Paul’s will also have one of their extremely knowledgeable wine representatives leading a discussion on the wines of Burgundy. The event is free to attend, but space is limited. Those interested in attending can reserve their tickets online.
- The American University School of Communication and the National Gallery of Art offer a series of Greek films this month as part of their international film partnership. The December series begins on Friday, December 5 with a special reception at 6:30 p.m. followed by a screening of the film September at 7:00 p.m. The series continues on Sunday, December 7 with Standing Aside, Watching at 4:30 p.m. All films are shown in the Malsi Doyle and Michael Forman Theater at the School of Communication, and are free and open to the public with first-come, first-served seating.
- The Tenley WinterFest in partnership with the Families Group of St. Ann’s will present a free screening of the new animated classic Frozen (2013, PG) on Friday, December 5 at 7:00 p.m. in the St. Ann’s gym, 4404 Wisconsin Avenue. The movie is offered free of charge, but St. Ann’s asks that you consider bringing a new toy, a new piece of children’s clothing, or a gift card to benefit the St. Ann’s Angel Tree Gift Drive for needy families at the Spanish Catholic Center in Mt. Pleasant.
- Saturday, December 6 marks the final day of the Tenley WinterFest – and it’s loaded with fun events for the whole family. The day begins with the Janney 5K and Fun Run at 10:00 a.m., followed by the Winter Market held at Janney Elementary School at 11:30 a.m. More than 80 vendors will be selling crafts, jewelry, art, accessories, food, and more – just in time for some holiday shopping. Throughout the day there will be live music at Middle C Music, crafts and caroling at Whole Foods Market, a children’s book sale at the Tenley-Friendship Library, and more. Visit the Tenley WinterFest website for a full listing of events.
- The WinterFest fun doesn’t stop when the sun goes down. Capping off Tenleytown’s annual neighborhood celebration is a special performance by local bands Cheaper Than Therapy and Growler at Public Tenley starting at 8:00 p.m. on Saturday night.
- lil omm yoga is hosting a Nutcracker Yoga Family Date Night on Saturday, December 6 at 5:30 p.m. Sugar plums and soldiers, ages 3 to 8 years, can enjoy the classic tale in a new way as they bring the Nutcracker to life through yoga, dance, and music. Tickets are $30 for a family of three, $40 for families with four or more members, and can be purchased online.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. New members are welcome, but as many of the foursomes have been playing together for years, you may want to recruit your own foursome to play a few rubbers. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Wednesday here.)
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for the weekly Friday Night Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational, and tasty experience. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at email@example.com.