What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (1/5-1/11)
Happy New Year, Tenleytown! After the holidays and a bit of a vacation (plus a bout of the flu), we’re back with the weekly run down of events in the neighborhood. January is off to a great start, so let’s get right to it:
- The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) kicks off its January lecture series this week with discussions on Middle East peace, astronomy, and digital identity. Each week in January, Tuesday through Thursday,OLLI is offering a thought-provoking lecture on world politics, history, arts or science. All events begin at 10:00 a.m. and take place at either the Temple Baptist Church or theKatzen Arts Center. This week’s schedule includes:
- Tuesday, January 6 (Temple Baptist Church): Former president of the Foundation for Middle East Peace and veteran of the U.S. Foreign Service Phillip Wilcox, Jr. will discuss prospects for a just and lasting resolution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
- Wednesday, January 7 (Temple Baptist Church): In her presentation A Female Astronomer’s Life, Nancy Grace Roman, who began a career at NASA in 1959 and was a driving force behind the Hubble Space Telescope, will discuss her life as an astronomer, the improved situation for women physicists today, and the reasons why women are still underrepresented in physics.
- Thursday, January 8 (Temple Baptist Church): Clare Sullivan will discuss the digital identity required for transactions and its significance for individuals, businesses, and government.
The lectures are open to the public and free to attend. A complete schedule is available online. OLLI, a non-profit organization associated with the American University, provides continuing education for members of the community through lecture series and peer-led study groups.
- Cheer on the American University Eagles this week as the women’s basketball team takes on Loyola University on Wednesday, January 7 at 7:00 p.m. at the Bender Arena, followed by the men’s basketball team battling Colgate University on Saturday, January 10 at 4:00 p.m.
- Put on your most comfortable PJs and take the whole family to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Thursday, January 8, for Pajama Movie Night. The dynamic duo of Sully and Mike learn that laughter – not fear – is a powerful force in Disney-Pixar’s hilarious animated feature Monsters, Inc. (G, 2001). The film begins at 6:00 p.m.
- Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 3E will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, January 8 starting at 7:30 p.m. Among agenda items are an update on construction of the Tenley View project and discussion of DDOT’s plan to install All-Way Stop signs at the intersection of 43rd Street and Alton Place. The Second District police will also provide an update on public safety issues in the Tenleytown area. The meeting will take place in the Tenleytown Room at the Embassy Suites in the Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- Join lil omm yoga on Saturday, January 10 at 5:30 p.m. for a special JourneyDance and dance your intentions for 2015 with your daughters. The Dance with Daughters will use simple, guided movements to give physical expression to your goals for the new year. Tickets are $30 for an adult and up to two children; $40 for families of four or more. Learn more and sign up online.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. New members are welcome, but as many of the foursomes have been playing together for years, you may want to recruit your own foursome to play a few rubbers. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email email@example.com to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Wednesday here.)
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for the weekly Friday Night Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational, and tasty experience. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.