What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (2/10-2/15)
Due to some technical difficulties, we’re coming to you a day late with this week’s rundown, but don’t worry, there’s still time to enjoy all of Tenleytown’s happenings. Love is in the air, with romance-themed movies, musical theater, crafting, and even yoga to help you celebrate Valentine’s Day all week long – plus plenty of other sporting, arts, and community events to enjoy with friends and loved ones:
- The Ward 3 Democratic Committee will host a Community Dialogue with Mayor Muriel Bowser on Tuesday, February 10 at 7:30 p.m. at St. Columba’s Episcopal Church. The mayor will discuss current policy issues and take audience questions.
- On Wednesday, February 11 enjoy yoga in the galleries at the Katzen Arts Center at 10:00 a.m. The session will be led by a certified Kripalu Yoga teacher. Participants are asked to bring a mat. Free for museum members; $5 for non-members.
- Join Iona on Wednesday, February 11 for Opera Gems, a wonderful lecture by Peter Russell on Richard Strauss’ “Guntram.” Opera Gems is a partnership between Washington Concert Opera and Iona Senior Services to help audience members and the general public learn more about opera. Admission for the lecture, which begins at 3:30 p.m., is $10, and reservations can be made by calling 202-895-9407.
- At this Wednesday’s Afterschool Lounge at the Tenley-Friendship Library, learn how to make scratch-off valentines just in time to give to your friends and loved ones this week. Children ages 11 to 19 years can take part in this fun craft starting at 4:00 p.m.
- Cheer on the American University Eagles as the women’s basketball team takes on Lehigh on Wednesday, February 11 at 7:00 p.m. at the Bender Arena. Just for AU neighbors in Northwest D.C., AU Athletics is offering discounted tickets for $4 each by using the promo code “NEIGHBOR15” at checkout. And don’t forget to show your support for the men’s basketball team on Saturday, February 14 as they battle Lafayette at 2:00 p.m. AU neighbors can purchase $5 end zone seats for men’s basketball games. Purchase your tickets online and use the promo code “FEBFIVE” at checkout.
- In honor of the Chinese New Year, Georgetown Day School will host the acclaimed High School Affiliated to Renmin University (RDFZ) Performance Art Troupe for a special performance on February 11. Returning to GDS for their fourth year, the troupe’s performance promises a combination of precision and grace, as they share the beauty of Chinese culture and dance. The performance is free and open to the public and begins at 7:00 p.m. at the GDS high school, 4200 Davenport Street.
- As part of the Wilson High School Mental Health Speaker Series, the Wilson Parent Teacher Student Organization will host a discussion on Screen Issues: Taming the Electronic Monsters in Your Home. On Wednesday, February 11, learn how to bring the screens – computers, smart phones, television – under control and slowly allow your child to develop self-control with technology. The discussion begins at 7:30 p.m. in the Wilson High School library.
- Put on your most comfortable PJs and take the whole family to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Thursday, February 12, for Pajama Movie Night. In the spirit of Valentine’s Day, enjoy the classic love story between an uptown pup and a scamp from the streets in Disney’s Lady and the Tramp (G, 1955). The film begins at 6:00 p.m.
- American University presents a one-weekend only production of Spring Awakening at the Greenberg Theatre starting Thursday, February 12. Spring Awakening is a rock musical based on the German play of the same name by Frank Wedekind. Set in late-19th century Germany, the musical tells the story of teenagers discovering the inner and outer tumult of sexuality. Performances will be given on February 12, 13, and 14 at 8:00 p.m. with a Saturday matinee at 2:00 p.m. on the 14th. Tickets are $15 for regular admission, $10 for members of the AU community and seniors, and can be purchased online. AU neighbors are eligible to reserve two free tickets to the Saturday matinee; the performance will be followed by a special Q & A session with the production’s director and cast. These special tickets are limited; interested neighbors should email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve theirs.
- Starting this Friday, February 13, the American University Museum will offer docent led tours of current exhibitions on Fridays at 12:30 p.m. through March 13. Learn about the current exhibitions and discuss your favorite works of art. The tours are free and open to the public. Visit american.edu/museum for more information.
- It’s Family Game Time! The Tenley-Friendship Library invites friends and families to join them for a Saturday of gaming starting at noon. Play board games, video games and collectible card games perfect for children ages 11 to 19 years.
- lil omm yoga will host a special Valentine’s Day Partner Yoga & Massage workshop on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. Spend your Valentine’s Day exploring partner yoga and Thai massage. Tickets can be purchased online and are $20 per person.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. New members are welcome, but as many of the foursomes have been playing together for years, you may want to recruit your own foursome to play a few rubbers. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email email@example.com to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- The AU Farmers Market continues even in the winter. Each Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery bring to the farmers market fresh vegetables, homemade breads, and desserts. The market is located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus.
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Wednesday here.)
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for the weekly Friday Night Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. The complimentary tastings are set up to allow guests to arrive at any point during the event and are meant to be a fun, social, educational, and tasty experience. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
- Coffee Nature, our neighborhood coffee shop, has a weekly live music and stand-up comedy show on Saturdays. Stop by between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and enjoy some entertainment with your weekend coffee, pastry, or lunch. Coffee Nature is located at 4224 Fessenden Street. You can read more about it in our review.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.