What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (3/9-3/15)
Local businesses Middle C Music and Paul’s Wine and Spirits are marking anniversaries this week. Congratulate them and join special celebrations to honor the occasions. While you are at it, check out some of the other fun events happening around town:
- Put on your most comfortable PJs and take the whole family to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Thursday, March 12, for Pajama Movie Night. Join a very independent Princess Merida as she relies on her bravery and her archery skills to undo a beastly curse that brings chaos to her kingdom. The animated film Brave (PG, 2012) begins at 6:00 p.m.
- Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 3E will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, March 12 starting at 7:30 p.m. Among agenda items are a possible vote on a resolution regarding Burger Tap & Shake’s public space and liquor license applications, a vote on construction fencing at PEPCO’s Harrison Street substation (read more about the plans here), and DDOT’s plans to replace a yield sign at 42nd and Van Ness streets. The Second District police will also provide an update on public safety issues in the Tenleytown area. The meeting will take place in Room 603 of the American University law school at 4801 Massachusetts Avenue, NW.
- Help Middle C Music celebrate 13 years in Tenleytown! Join our favorite local music store on Friday, March 13 from noon to 6 p.m. for live performances and refreshments. Plus everything in the store will be discounted by 13 percent! Congratulate Myrna on this milestone and come by the store at 4530 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Friday, March 13 is the final chance to take part in a docent led tour of the American University Museum. Starting at 12:30 p.m. learn about the current exhibitions and discuss your favorite works of art. The tour is free and open to the public. Visit american.edu/museum for more information.
- Join Paul’s Wine and Spirits on Friday evening for a special 31st Anniversary Wine Tasting from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. To mark over three decades in the neighborhood, Paul’s will offer six tasting tables featuring Catoctin Creek, Michter’s, Redemption Rye, El Dorado 8 year old Rum and Cyrus Noble Bourbon – just to name a few of the brands available for sampling. Specialty cocktails will also be offered. The event is free to attend, and is designed to allow guests to arrive at any point. Learn more here. Paul’s is located at 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- The United Methodist Women will host their annual Used Book and Bake Sale on Saturday, March 14 from 8:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. at the Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church, 3401 Nebraska Avenue, NW. Proceeds from the sale benefit women’s and children’s programs locally and globally.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. New members are welcome, but as many of the foursomes have been playing together for years, you may want to recruit your own foursome to play a few rubbers. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email email@example.com to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- On Wednesdays, enjoy yoga in the galleries at the Katzen Arts Center at 10:00 a.m. Sessions will be led by a certified Kripalu Yoga teacher. Participants are asked to bring a mat. Free for museum members; $5 for non-members.
- The AU Farmers Market continues even in the winter. Each Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery bring to the farmers market fresh vegetables, homemade breads, and desserts. The market is located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus.
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Public Tenley where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 8:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Wednesday here.)
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
- Coffee Nature, our neighborhood coffee shop, has a weekly live music and stand-up comedy show on Saturdays. Stop by between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and enjoy some entertainment with your weekend coffee, pastry, or lunch. Coffee Nature is located at 4224 Fessenden Street. You can read more about it in our review.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.