What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (3/30-4/5)
Tenleytown takes a literary turn this week with Books That Shaped America and a teen poetry slam. And if you haven’t taken advantage of the neighborhood’s weekly farmers market, trivia nights, or live music, now’s the time to see what you’ve been missing. Check out all these great events around town:
- On Tuesday, American University’s Books That Shaped America series continues with a discussion of the 1914 pamphlet by Margaret Sanger, who established the first family-planning and birth control clinic in Brooklyn. Mary Clark, Dean of Academic Affairs and Senior Vice Provost, will lead the conversation at 7:00 p.m. in room 115 of the Bender Library. Attendees are encouraged, but not required, to have read the pamphlet.
- Got a poem you want to share? Tenley-Friendship Library is kicking off National Poetry Month with a Teen Slam Poetry Night on Thursday, April 2 at 6:30 p.m. Prizes will be given to the author of the best original poem, best performer, and runners-up. Teens ages 14 to 19 are encouraged to participate. Light refreshments will be served.
- Join American University’s Community-Based Research Scholars and the United Planning Organization for a Community Conversation on Thursday, April 2 at 7:00 p.m. as part of the 2015 Community Needs Assessment. Share your thoughts on issues like civic engagement, availability of social services, community safety, health, and economic development. UPO, a community action agency, and the CBRS program are conducting community conversations in all eight wards, along with more than 1,000 surveys in neighborhoods across the city, to help UPO plan to better meet needs in the communities it serves. Students in the CBRS will analyze the data collected, write a policy brief, and make recommendations to UPO based on the findings of the surveys and focus groups.
- lil omm yoga is hosting a free juice tasting with Alive Juices on Saturday, April 4, starting at 8:00 a.m. Alive Juices is a D.C.-based company that makes and delivers fresh pressed juices to residents in the D.C. and Baltimore region. They will be at the yoga studio with free juice samples for neighbors to try. Stop by between 8:00 a.m and noon and enjoy some fresh juice.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. New members are welcome, but as many of the foursomes have been playing together for years, you may want to recruit your own foursome to play a few rubbers. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine in Friendship Heights is offering a weekly free yoga class on Mondays at 6:00 p.m. The classes are open to the public and all skill levels. Call 202-686-2210 or email email@example.com to sign up. Classes will be held at the PCRM offices at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 400.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- On Wednesdays, enjoy yoga in the galleries at the Katzen Arts Center at 10:00 a.m. Sessions will be led by a certified Kripalu Yoga teacher. Participants are asked to bring a mat. Free for museum members; $5 for non-members.
- The AU Farmers Market continues even in the winter. Each Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery bring to the farmers market fresh vegetables, homemade breads, and desserts. The market is located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus.
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- Test your knowledge with Trivia Wednesday at Tenley Gastropub where teams compete for a chance at a $5,000 cash prize in the CSN Trivia Challenge. Trivia begins at 7:00 p.m., but arrive early to reserve a seat.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
- Coffee Nature, our neighborhood coffee shop, has a weekly live music and stand-up comedy show on Saturdays. Stop by between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and enjoy some entertainment with your weekend coffee, pastry, or lunch. Coffee Nature is located at 4224 Fessenden Street. You can read more about it in our review.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.