What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (8/31-9/6)
Zumba, movies, wine tasting, oh my! So many fantastic, free events to choose from in Tenleytown. And don’t forget to check out the neighborhood’s great weekly events. From trivia to live coffee shop music, there’s something for everyone. Here’s what should be on your calendar this week:
Monday, August 31
- Enjoy a free viniyoga class at the Tenley-Friendship library given by certified instructor Robin Glantz. Relax and stretch during this gentle form of yoga suitable for all levels of experience and fitness. Class begins at 11:00 a.m. Participants are asked to bring their own yoga mat. Space is limited, so please register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn about the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at this month’s Terrace Talk hosted by Seabury at Friendship Terrace. The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute is a non-profit corporation affiliated with American University that offers additional educational opportunities for individuals who want to remain intellectually active and involved into their senior years. Tim Long, OLLI Curriculum Coordinator, will outline the 62 courses offered this fall. The August Terrace Talk begins at 7 p.m. at 4201 Butterworth Place, NW.
Wednesday, September 2
- Get set to sweat with CityDance POP! which is offering a free Zumba class at 5:30 p.m. at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Zumba is a fun, high-octane dance workout, and dance lovers of all ages will have a chance to get moving. Space is limited; email email@example.com to register. All participants must sign a liability waiver and are required to wear appropriate athletic attire and sneakers.
Thursday, September 3
- Interested in manga, anime and everything Japanese? Join the Tenley-Friendship Library on the first Thursday of each month at 4:00 p.m. for Manga Madness. Read manga, watch anime, and have fun! Appropriate for ages 11 to 19 years.
Friday, September 4
- Each week, Paul’s Wine and Spirits hosts a free wine tasting, opening 10 to 15 wines from around the world to let customers sample new and exciting vintages. Wines are announced during the week via Paul’s Facebook page. Sip and learn from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at Paul’s Friendship Heights location, 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
Sunday, September 6
- Join the Tenley-Friendship Library on Sunday for a Golden Sunday Movie showing of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (G, 1971) at 2:00 p.m. Starring Gene Wilder in the title role, this cult-classic musical serves up a Technicolor spectacle for the eyes, ears, and mind. Charlie Bucket gets the chance to tour Willy Wonka’s long shuttered chocolate factory, but has a serious proposition to consider. Will he honor his host’s invitation, or help the vile Slugworth engage in corporate espionage? Come enjoy lemonade, cookies, popcorn and a free film!
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Play a few friendly hands of bridge at the Iona Senior Services Bridge Group on Mondays from 11:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. New members are welcome, but as many of the foursomes have been playing together for years, you may want to recruit your own foursome to play a few rubbers. For more information, call 202-895-9448.
- Join the Tenley-Friendship Library and some adorable pups each Tuesday for Happy Tails Story Time at 6:30 p.m. Story time begins with a book, some songs and then it is your turn. Bring your own book, make up a story, or grab a book in the library to read to a lovable doggie! Dogs are provided by volunteers with People Animals Love.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
- Coffee Nature, our neighborhood coffee shop, has a weekly live music and stand-up comedy show on Saturdays. Stop by between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and enjoy some entertainment with your weekend coffee, pastry, or lunch. Coffee Nature is located at 4224 Fessenden Street. You can read more about it in our review.
- Adorable cats and kittens are available for adoption each Saturday at PetMAC DC from noon to 2:00 p.m. during Homeward Trails’ pet adoption events. Who knows, you might just meet the newest member of your family. PetMAC is located at 4914 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.