What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (12/14-12/20)
The weather might be spring like, but Tenleytown has events filled with winter cheer for the young and young at heart. Take a look at what should be on your calendar this week:
Monday, December 14
- Iona invites you to a family-friendly reading of the play “Princess Georgie.” Georgie (Georgiana) is a princess whose mother wants to make a proper young lady out of her, but Georgie wants more freedom to explore. She finds a baby dragon, which she plans to raise with the help of her friend Cam, but when the two are discovered Georgie’s parents confine her to the castle and forbid her from ever seeing Cam. The dragon, which has grown quite big, goes in search of Georgie at the castle leading to all sort of problems that the young girl must find a way to sort out. The play reading begins at 7:00 p.m. at 4125 Albemarle Street. A donation of $5 is requested at the door.
- The Ward 3 Democrats will host a community dialogue with Attorney General Karl Racine at 7:00 p.m., followed by a holiday reception. The meeting and reception, which will take place at Forest Hills of DC, 4901 Connecticut Avenue, is open to the public to attend.
Tuesday, December 15
- Celebrate the season at this month’s In the Zone at the library. Kids ages 6 to 12 years can make their very own snow globe and create a miniature winter wonderland. Bring your kids and their creativity to the library at 4:00 p.m. In the Zone is held the third Tuesday of each month for kids to kick back and enjoy games, crafts, or other fun.
Wednesday, December 16
- Release the stress of the holiday season with the flowing movements of the Chinese martial art T’ai Chi, which weaves together meditation and relaxation. Susan Lowell of Tenleytown T’ai Chi will offer a free T’ai Chi class at 7:30 p.m. at the Tenley-Friendship Library. All ages are welcome and should wear comfortable clothing. Participants will be required to sign a liability waiver before the class begins.
Thursday, December 17
- Help get your kids in the holiday spirit! Tweens and teens, ages 11 to 18 years, are invited to the Afterschool Lounge at the Tenley-Friendship Library at 3:30 p.m. to decorate sugar cookies, hang out with friends, and listen to holiday tunes.
- The holiday cheer at the library continues with a special Pajama Movie Night. Put on your most comfortable PJs and take the whole family to hear the Muppets tell their version of a Christmas Carol – the classic tale of a bitter old miser’s redemption on Christmas Eve. The Muppet Christmas Carol (G, 1992) begins at 6:00 p.m.
Sunday, December 20
- Cheer on the American University Eagles as the men’s basketball team takes on the University of Maryland – Eastern Shore at 1:30 p.m. at the Bender Arena, followed by the women’s basketball team battling Manhattan College at 5:30 p.m. Tickets are available for purchase online.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Join the Tenley-Friendship Library and some adorable pups each Tuesday for Happy Tails Story Time at 6:30 p.m. Story time begins with a book, some songs and then it is your turn. Bring your own book, make up a story, or grab a book in the library to read to a lovable doggie! Dogs are provided by volunteers with People Animals Love.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- On Wednesdays, enjoy yoga in the galleries at the Katzen Arts Center at 10:00 a.m. Sessions will be led by a certified Kripalu Yoga teacher. Participants are asked to bring a mat. Free for museum members; $10 for non-members.
- Stop by the AU Farmers Market every Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery offer fresh vegetables, homemade breads, and desserts. The market is located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus.
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- On Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m., Tenley Bar & Grill hosts a weekly trivia competition run by Stump! Trivia Quiz. Gift cards, prizes, and other swag will be award to the top teams. Plus all trivia participants (21 years of age or older) can enjoy half price wine bottles – which may or may not help your trivia game.
- Every Friday, Paul’s Wine and Spirits hosts a free wine tasting, opening 10 to 15 wines from around the world to let customers sample new and exciting vintages. Wines are announced during the week via Paul’s Facebook page. Sip and learn from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at Paul’s Friendship Heights location, 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Warm up those vocal chords, Tenleytown – karaoke is in town. Tenley Bar & Grill will let you be the star every Friday night starting at 9:00 p.m. Plenty of drink specials will be on offer for those needing a little liquid courage to take the mic. DC Sing King Ra.Free hosts this fun event strictly for those 21 years of age and older.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
- Coffee Nature, our neighborhood coffee shop, has a weekly live music show on Saturdays. Stop by between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and enjoy some entertainment with your weekend coffee, pastry, or lunch. Coffee Nature is located at 4224 Fessenden Street.
- Adorable cats and kittens are available for adoption each Saturday at PetMAC DC from noon to 2:00 p.m. during Homeward Trails’ pet adoption events. Who knows, you might just meet the newest member of your family. PetMAC is located at 4914 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at email@example.com.