What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (12/28-1/3)
Make plans this week to say goodbye to 2015 and celebrate the New Year right here in Tenleytown. From family friendly outings to adults only fêtes, the neighborhood has it all – plus ways to help you keep those New Year’s resolutions:
Tuesday, December 29
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW, where Trivia Kings tests your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. If you’ve never checked out this fun weekly event, now is a good time. Not only are the American University regulars – and regular winners – on break, but it’s also the perfect time of year to enjoy a pint at the local Irish pub.
Wednesday, December 30
- Can’t make Trivia Tuesday? Don’t worry, just across the street at Tenley Bar & Grill you can find a weekly Wednesday trivia competition at 7:30 p.m. run by Stump! Trivia Quiz. Gift cards, prizes, and other swag will be award to the top teams. Plus all trivia participants (21 years of age or older) can enjoy half price wine bottles – which may or may not help your trivia game.
Thursday, December 31
- Celebrate New Year’s Eve and start the count down to a new year together with family yoga at 4:00 p.m. In this special homage to the new year, lil omm yoga invites you and yours to share partner poses, laughter and breath, and meditate on what you would like to nurture in the new year. Register online by December 29; the cost per family is $25.
- Later that night, leave the kids at home and join Tenley Bar & Grill for a New Year’s Karaoke Party. Grab the mic to sing in the New Year, or just cheer on others as they take the stage. There is no cover charge, and drafts, mixed rail drinks, and house wine are just $5 each all night long. The party starts at 10:00 p.m., but come early to enjoy Tenley Bar & Grill’s delicious menu.
Friday, January 1
After you’ve rung in the New Year, it’s time to head to lil omm yoga for the Detox n’ Rejuve Workshop. Whether you’ve resolved to deepen your yoga practice or to start a new one, this workshop will help set you on the right path with an invigorating flow of asanas and pranayama to detoxify your body, mind, and soul, as well as meditative yin and restorative poses to reenergize yourself. The workshop is open to all levels, and is $30 per person ($50 per pair) to attend. Register online for the 11:00 a.m. class.
Saturday, January 2
- If you’ve been meaning to bring a new, furry friend into your family, PetMAC DC, in partnership with Homeward Trails, hosts pet adoption events each Saturday. From noon to 2:00 p.m. adorable cats and kittens are available for adoption. Who knows, you might just meet the newest member of your family. PetMAC is located at 4914 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
Sunday, January 3
Hera Hub DC will host a self-defense class for women from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. The course will be taught by Rachel Westfall, a Chevy Chase resident and licensed Surviving Assault Standing Strong (SASS) Defense instructor. The course, suitable for those 12 years of age or older, will teach women how to save themselves in a life threatening situation. Participants will learn techniques that cover 97% of the ways women are attacked, including ways to focus women’s strengths against men’s weaknesses in the simplest and most effective ways possible to stop an assault. Register online for the course, which is $35 to attend. Hera Hub DC is located at 5028 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.