Tenleytown Digs Out, Restaurants Re-Open
The sun is out, the snow has stopped falling… and now the real work begins. Tenleytown awoke early today to start digging out from the blizzard that dropped 25 inches of snow on the neighborhood. When we ventured out at mid-day many residential sidewalks were shoveled or in the process of being shoveled. Neighbors were lending each other a hand to help clear the way. We’re not all the way there yet, but things are looking good where we walked.
The roads are another matter. Main thoroughfares are well plowed, including Wisconsin Avenue and River Road, while even streets like Brandywine and Chesapeake had been plowed. Side streets are still snowed under and not passable.
If you are able, your own two feet are the best way to get around right now. Plenty of locals made their way up to Wisconsin Avenue to check out what was open or headed to Fort Reno for some epic sledding. Businesses are starting to dig out, and making good progress on some blocks. The area around Best Buy, in particular, is clear, as is the section around CVS. We spotted several crews with shovels and snow blowers, so we expect conditions to improve into the afternoon.
If you do venture out, there are several businesses that are open and eager to see you. We were able to confirm in person that the following stores and restaurants are open:
- Safeway, 4203 Davenport Street – The store was well stocked save for milk, meat, and bread. The sidewalks and parking lot are clear and passable.
- CVS, 4555 Wisconsin Avenue – CVS is also well stocked, and had crews clearing the sidewalk and parking lot adjacent to the building.
- Pete’s New Haven Style Apizza, 4940 Wisconsin Avenue – Pete’s is offering a limited pizza menu today until 6:00 p.m. Carry out orders only. Call ahead with your order.
- Cafe of India, 4909 Wisconsin Avenue – Cafe of India is open until 8:00 p.m. tonight.
- Le Chat Noir, 4907 Wisconsin Avenue – Le Chat Noir expects to be open until about 9:30 p.m. Call ahead to confirm if you plan to go out later in the evening.
- Steak ‘n Egg, 4700 Wisconsin Avenue – Our favorite local diner has stayed open throughout the blizzard, maintaining its 24/7 record.
- Tenley Bar & Grill, 4611 41st Street – Tenley Bar & Grill is open for its regular hours today and plans to show the NFL Conference Championship games starting at 3:00 p.m.
- Papa John’s Pizza, 4656 Wisconsin Avenue – Papa John’s is offering their full menu for carry out. The owner said they may be able to deliver, as they have two drivers with trucks. However, their safety is his primary concern so the delivery area will be limited.
- Domino’s Pizza, 4539 Wisconsin Avenue – This pizza chain was doing a brisk business at mid-day. No word on whether delivery is an option
We also spoke with the owner of Crisp and Juicy, 4533 Wisconsin Avenue, who said his staff was working on cleaning up after the storm and was hoping to open for dinner tonight. He asked that patrons call ahead to see if they were open.
If you know of other stores or restaurants that are open, please let us know in the comments section.