What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (1/25-1/31)
Most events around the neighborhood are canceled for Monday, but there is lots to look forward to after you dig out from snow storm Jonas. Plus, Fort Reno is always open for sledding. Here’s some of what should be on your calendar this week:
Monday, January 25
- The Winter Metropolitan Washington Restaurant Week kicks off today and runs through Sunday, January 31. Local French favorite Le Chat Noir has a special lunch and dinner menu planned throughout the week. Make your reservations now.
Tuesday, January 26
- CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER
The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) continues its January lecture series this week as Dr. Jennifer Wiseman presents some of the Greatest Discoveries of the Hubble Space Telescope. An astrophysicist who serves as NASA’s Senior Project Scientist for the Hubble Space Telescope, Dr. Wiseman will discuss Hubble’s role in tracking the dynamics of our solar system to detecting the most distant galaxies in the universe. The lecture will be held at the Katzen Arts Center.
Each week in January, Tuesday through Thursday, OLLI offers a thought-provoking lecture on world politics, history, arts, or science. All events begin at 10:00 a.m. and take place at either the Temple Baptist Church or the Katzen Arts Center. The lectures are open to the public and free to attend. A complete schedule is available online.
Wednesday, January 27
- The OLLI lecture series continues with a Frontline Report on the International Refuge Crisis. Eskinder Negash, Senior Vice President of the U.S. Committee for Refugees and Immigrants, will discuss issues raised by the crisis, strategies for resettlement, and steps that can be taken to reduce barriers to cooperation on behalf of the uprooted. The lecture begins at 10:00 a.m. at the Temple Baptist Church.
The Citizens Advisory Council for the 2nd Police District (CAC 2D) will meet at 7:00 p.m. at the 2nd District Station, 3320 Idaho Avenue, NW. Police officials will discuss crime trends in our area, and the steps being taken to address crime citywide. Residents can ask questions and raise concerns with 2nd District Commander Melvin Gresham during the open forum.
Thursday, January 28
- OLLI concludes the January lecture series with a discussion on Fighting Voter Suppression and the Recent Attack on the Voting Rights Act. Renowned for her work on the Civil Rights Act of 1991, Barbara Arnwine will discuss the impact of the Supreme Court’s 2013 decision in Shelby County, Alabama v. Holder, which effectively gutted one of the Voting Rights Act’s most significant provisions. She also will address changes to state laws before and after Shelby that disenfranchise minority, elderly, and student voters; legal challenges to such laws; legislative fixes to the Voting Rights Act; and what concerned citizens can do to protect the voting rights of all. Join the conversation at 10:00 a.m. at the Katzen Arts Center.
- The Tenleytown Neighbors Association will meet at 7:00 p.m. at the Tenley-Friendship Library. The January meeting will highlight local vendors that can help Tenleytown residents improve their homes and get organized in the new year. Included on the agenda are Solar City, Embrace Your Space, Junk in the Trunk, and Moving & Storage Co. The meeting is open to the public.
Friday, January 29
- Tenleytown Main Street invites friends, neighbors, and members of the Tenleytown business community to a special Open House from 8:30 a.m. until 10:30 a.m. at their new offices at 4000 Albemarle Street. Join TMS’ new Executive Director and Board Members for coffee, pastries, and conversation about the future of Tenleytown. TMS would like to thank American University and Starbucks for providing pastries and coffee for this event.
- Local band Cheaper Than Therapy plans to rock the house down at Tenley Bar & Grill starting at 9:00 p.m. Come early for dinner, from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Tenley Bar & Grill will donate a portion of the proceeds from your meal to Lafayette Elementary. Plus all cover charges go to the school. Tenley Bar & Grill is located at 4611 41st Street, NW.
Saturday, January 30
- CommuniKids will host a free Summer Camp Open House from 2:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. In addition to CommuniKids’ language immersion summer camp, the open house will feature other camp offerings from local businesses in Tenleytown. Bring your kids and let them sample the many different activities that are offered to children in Tenleytown, while you learn more about the programs from camp organizers. CommuniKids is located at 4719 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
- The American University Eagles women’s basketball team battles Colgate University at 2:00 p.m. in the Bender Arena. Purchase your tickets online and cheer on the Eagles.
Sunday, January 31
lil omm yoga invites mothers and daughters to an afternoon of yoga and connection. Mom and Me Yoga, suitable for children 5 to 12 years of age and their caregivers, begins at 3:00 p.m. at 4708 Wisconsin Avenue. Register online; tuition is $40 per pair, $20 for each additional family member.
- Say farewell to the lil omm yoga studio – or at least its physical space – with a Goodbye Party and Potluck starting at 5:00 p.m. Join this community of students, teachers, and friends for an evening of dinner, drinks, and dancing! Sign up online – and don’t forget to wear any love or heart shirt you might have. And read more about lil omm’s evolution here. This event was rescheduled from January 23.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER THIS WEEK
Join the Tenley-Friendship Library and some adorable pups each Tuesday for Happy Tails Story Time at 6:30 p.m. Story time begins with a book, some songs and then it is your turn. Bring your own book, make up a story, or grab a book in the library to read to a lovable doggie! Dogs are provided by volunteers with People Animals Love.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- Stop by the AU Farmers Market every Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery offer fresh vegetables, homemade breads, and desserts. The market is located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus.
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- On Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m., Tenley Bar & Grill hosts a weekly trivia competition run by Stump! Trivia Quiz. Gift cards, prizes, and other swag will be award to the top teams. Plus all trivia participants (21 years of age or older) can enjoy half price wine bottles – which may or may not help your trivia game.
- Every Friday, Paul’s Wine and Spirits hosts a free wine tasting, opening 10 to 15 wines from around the world to let customers sample new and exciting vintages. Wines are announced during the week via Paul’s Facebook page. Sip and learn from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at Paul’s Friendship Heights location, 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Warm up those vocal chords, Tenleytown – karaoke is in town. Tenley Bar & Grill will let you be the star every Friday night starting at 9:00 p.m. Plenty of drink specials will be on offer for those needing a little liquid courage to take the mic. DC Sing King Ra.Free hosts this fun event strictly for those 21 years of age and older.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
- Coffee Nature, our neighborhood coffee shop, has a weekly live music show on Saturdays. Stop by between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and enjoy some entertainment with your weekend coffee, pastry, or lunch. Coffee Nature is located at 4224 Fessenden Street.
- Adorable cats and kittens are available for adoption each Saturday at PetMAC DC from noon to 2:00 p.m. during Homeward Trails’ pet adoption events. Who knows, you might just meet the newest member of your family. PetMAC is located at 4914 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at email@example.com.