What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (2/1-2/7)
Tenleytown has something for everyone this week from yogis to basketball fans, history buffs to anime aficionados, wine drinkers to farmers market shoppers – and of course, animal lovers of all kinds. Here’s some of what should be on your calendar this week:
Monday, February 1
- Start your week off with a free yoga class at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Robin Glantz’s four-week series of gentle Viniyoga classes continues this week. The 75-minute class will be offered at 10:30 a.m., and the final session in the series will take place February 8. Space is limited, so email the library to register. Attendees are requested to bring their own yoga mat.
- The American University Eagles men’s basketball team takes on Holy Cross at 7:30 p.m. in the Bender Arena. Purchase your tickets online and cheer on the Eagles.
Tuesday, February 2
- Enjoy a wonderful Italian meal and help raise funds for the Homeward Trails Animal Rescue. From 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Tartufo Restaurant will donate 10% of your check to care for animals. Bring your friends, family, and co-workers and help raise funds while enjoying delicious food and drinks at Tenleytown’s hottest new restaurant. Tartufo is located at 4910 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
Wednesday, February 3
Author Cassandra Good will discuss her book Founding Friendships: Friendships between Men and Women in the Early American Republic at 7:00 p.m. at the Tenley-Friendship Library. In a fresh look, Good tells of the nation’s founding fathers and their relationships with female friends. Popular rhetoric held that these friendships were fraught with social danger, if not impossible. Good reveals that friendships between men and women were quite common at a time when personal relationships were deeply political. Such friendships embodied the core values of the new nation and represented a transitional moment in gender and culture.
- Dr. Ruth Trocolli, Washington, D.C. City Archaeologist, will present Archaeology in the District of Columbia at 7:30 p.m. at Friendship Terrace, 4201 Butterworth Place, NW. Dr. Trocolli will look at Tenleytown’s rich history, as well as discuss recent excavations at the Yarrow Mamout site in upper Georgetown. The talk is free and open to the public, but reservations are required. Email the Tenleytown Historical Society to reserve your seat.
- The American University Eagles men’s basketball team returns to the court to battle Bucknell University at 7:30 p.m. in the Bender Arena. Purchase your tickets online.
Thursday, February 4
- Interested in manga, anime, and everything Japanese? Join the Tenley-Friendship Library on the first Thursday of each month at 4:00 p.m. for Manga Madness. Read manga, watch anime, and have fun! Appropriate for ages 11 to 19 years.
- Enjoy a complementary wine tasting in Le Chat Noir’s upstairs wine lounge from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Located at 4907 Wisconsin Avenue, the French restaurant hosts a wine tasting on the first Thursday of every month. And don’t forget to sample Le Chat Noir’s menu while you are there.
Friday, February 5
- Show your Tiger Pride and cheer for the Wilson High School basketball teams. The girls varsity team takes on Cardozo at 6:00 p.m. followed by the boys varsity team at 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, February 6
- A great week of hoops wraps up at 2:00 p.m. as the American University Eagles women’s basketball team battles Lehigh University in the Bender Arena. Purchase your tickets online.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Join the Tenley-Friendship Library and some adorable pups each Tuesday for Happy Tails Story Time at 6:30 p.m. Story time begins with a book, some songs and then it is your turn. Bring your own book, make up a story, or grab a book in the library to read to a lovable doggie! Dogs are provided by volunteers with People Animals Love.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- Stop by the AU Farmers Market every Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery offer fresh vegetables, homemade breads, and desserts. The market is located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus.
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- On Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m., Tenley Bar & Grill hosts a weekly trivia competition run by Stump! Trivia Quiz. Gift cards, prizes, and other swag will be award to the top teams. Plus all trivia participants (21 years of age or older) can enjoy half price wine bottles – which may or may not help your trivia game.
- Every Friday, Paul’s Wine and Spirits hosts a free wine tasting, opening 10 to 15 wines from around the world to let customers sample new and exciting vintages. Wines are announced during the week via Paul’s Facebook page. Sip and learn from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at Paul’s Friendship Heights location, 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Warm up those vocal chords, Tenleytown – karaoke is in town. Tenley Bar & Grill will let you be the star every Friday night starting at 9:00 p.m. Plenty of drink specials will be on offer for those needing a little liquid courage to take the mic. DC Sing King Ra.Free hosts this fun event strictly for those 21 years of age and older.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
- Coffee Nature, our neighborhood coffee shop, has a weekly live music show on Saturdays. Stop by between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and enjoy some entertainment with your weekend coffee, pastry, or lunch. Coffee Nature is located at 4224 Fessenden Street.
- Adorable cats and kittens are available for adoption each Saturday at PetMAC DC from noon to 2:00 p.m. during Homeward Trails’ pet adoption events. Who knows, you might just meet the newest member of your family. PetMAC is located at 4914 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.