What’s on Tap in Tenleytown (2/8-2/14)
Love is in the air in Tenleytown! Celebrate a week of valentines with concerts, theater, and family fun for all ages. Here’s some of what should be on your calendar this week:
Monday, February 8
- Start your week off with a free yoga class at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Robin Glantz’s latest four-week series of gentle Viniyoga classes concludes this week. The 75-minute class will be offered at 10:30 a.m. Space is limited, so email the library to register. Attendees are requested to bring their own yoga mat.
- Join Seabury at Friendship Terrace for the great hits of the 1920s through the 1970s. Your feet will be tapping and your hands clapping during this special concert presented by the River Road Unitarian Universalist Congregation’s Music Outreach Program. The event is free and open to the public. Friendship Terrace is located at 4201 Butterworth Place, NW.
Tuesday, February 9
- Learn about CommuniKids Language Immersion Preschool during a small group tour starting at 9:30 a.m. CommuniKids offers full and half-day Spanish language immersion programs taught by native speakers, and is accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children. The preschool is located at 4729 Wisconsin Avenue. Email Karen O’Connor-Floman to register for the tour.
Wednesday, February 10
The American University Eagles women’s basketball team takes to the court to battle Boston University at 7:30 p.m. in the Bender Arena. Purchase your tickets online.
Thursday, February 11
- Make a personalized valentine or go on a blind date with a book at the Tenley-Friendship Library’s Teen Valentine’s Day Bash starting at 3:30 p.m. There will be glitter, paper, and plenty of lace to make a one-of-a-kind valentine, or choose to fall in love with a new book instead. Don’t judge that book by its cover – select a book to check out based on its description alone.
- Put on your most comfortable PJs and take the whole family to the Tenley-Friendship Library for Pajama Movie Night. Banished by an evil queen, Princess Giselle from a fairy-tale world lands in modern New York City, where music, magic and “happily ever after” are sorely lacking. The musical Enchanted (PG, 2007) begins at 6:00 p.m.
- Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 3E will hold its monthly meeting at 7:30 p.m. The agenda includes discussion and possible resolutions on the Janney 5K route, campaign finance reform, and adjustments to Average Median Income levels for affordable housing created pursuant to Inclusionary Zoning. In addition, the Second District Police will provide an update on crime trends and public safety issues in AU Park, Friendship Heights, and Tenleytown. The meeting will take place in the Tenleytown Room of the Embassy Suites in the Chevy Chase Pavilion.
- American University presents Big Love at the Greenberg Theatre, Thursday through Saturday. Fifty Greek brides seek refuge at a villa in Italy after fleeing home on the eve of their arranged marriages to 50 American grooms. When the brothers ambush the sisters by helicopter, mayhem ensues. Exploring themes of gender, marriage, justice, rights, and power and offering bold meditations on life, loss, and love, this highly theatrical drama brims with wit, music, and a keen sense of humanity. Performances will be given on February 11, 12, and 13 at 8:00 p.m. with a Saturday matinée at 2:00 p.m. on the 13th. Tickets are $15 for regular admission, $10 for members of the AU community and seniors, and can be purchased online.
Friday, February 12
- In celebration of his birthday, American University presents a special concert spanning seven decades of composer Alan Mandel’s work. Mandel has written a number of major orchestral compositions, more than 20 piano works, a number of choral works, and more than 130 songs in various languages. His music has been performed in more than 50 countries, and you can hear him perform at 8:00 p.m. at the Katzen Arts Center. Tickets are $15 for regular admission, $10 for members of the AU community and seniors, $5 for students, and can be purchased online.
Saturday, February 13
- The American University men’s basketball team takes on the U.S. Military Academy at 1:00 p.m. in the Bender Arena. Purchase your tickets online and cheer for the Eagles.
- Join lil omm for a Family Yoga Date Night and Valentine’s Celebration. This playful yoga class will be full of partner poses, foot rubs, and a lovely story followed by a creative art project to work on together. The class is recommended for families with children ages 3 years and older, though infant siblings are welcome. Registration is $40 per family – sign up by February 11 to reserve your spot. Family Yoga Date Night will take place at the Washington Yoga Center, located at 4000 Albemarle Street, NW.
And don’t forget these great weekly events:
- Join the Tenley-Friendship Library and some adorable pups each Tuesday for Happy Tails Story Time at 6:30 p.m. Story time begins with a book, some songs and then it is your turn. Bring your own book, make up a story, or grab a book in the library to read to a lovable doggie! Dogs are provided by volunteers with People Animals Love.
- Tuesday is Trivia Night at Kitty O’Shea’s Irish Restaurant and Bar, 4624 Wisconsin Avenue, NW. Trivia Kings will test your trivia acumen each week at 8:00 p.m. (Read about Tenleytown, D.C.’s experience with Trivia Night here.)
- On Wednesdays, enjoy yoga in the galleries at the Katzen Arts Center at 10:00 a.m. Sessions will be led by a certified Kripalu Yoga teacher. Participants are asked to bring a mat. Free for museum members; $10 for non-members.
- Stop by the AU Farmers Market every Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Agora Farms and Upper Crust Bakery offer fresh vegetables, homemade breads, and desserts. The market is located in front of the Mary Graydon Building on the university campus.
- Bring your little LEGO architects and builders to the Tenley-Friendship Library on Wednesdays to join the LEGO Construction Crew. Each Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the library will provide all the bricks a child’s imagination can handle. Ages 6 to 12 years welcome.
- On Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m., Tenley Bar & Grill hosts a weekly trivia competition run by Stump! Trivia Quiz. Gift cards, prizes, and other swag will be award to the top teams. Plus all trivia participants (21 years of age or older) can enjoy half price wine bottles – which may or may not help your trivia game.
- Every Friday, Paul’s Wine and Spirits hosts a free wine tasting, opening 10 to 15 wines from around the world to let customers sample new and exciting vintages. Wines are announced during the week via Paul’s Facebook page. Sip and learn from 5:30 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at Paul’s Friendship Heights location, 5205 Wisconsin Avenue.
- Warm up those vocal chords, Tenleytown – karaoke is in town. Tenley Bar & Grill will let you be the star every Friday night starting at 9:00 p.m. Plenty of drink specials will be on offer for those needing a little liquid courage to take the mic. DC Sing King Ra.Free hosts this fun event strictly for those 21 years of age and older.
- Each Friday, the American University Museum offers docent-led tours at 12:30 p.m. Learn about the current exhibitions and discuss your favorite works of art. The tours are free and open to the public. Visit american.edu/museum for more information.
- Start your weekend off with Family Story Time at the Tenley-Friendship Library. Enjoy songs, rhymes and good books on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. All ages welcome.
- Coffee Nature, our neighborhood coffee shop, has a weekly live music show on Saturdays. Stop by between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. and enjoy some entertainment with your weekend coffee, pastry, or lunch. Coffee Nature is located at 4224 Fessenden Street.
- Adorable cats and kittens are available for adoption each Saturday at PetMAC DC from noon to 2:00 p.m. during Homeward Trails’ pet adoption events. Who knows, you might just meet the newest member of your family. PetMAC is located at 4914 Wisconsin Avenue, NW.
Know of an event in the neighborhood? Want to let others know, too? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.